If you are missing one or more of your teeth and you are considering dental implants, you want to learn all about how they work and what they offer, and resolve any concerns you have about them. This article will help fill you in on the different aspects of having dental implants put in so you can make a more informed decision on if they are the right choice for you.
Potentially negative considerations
- You need to meet certain conditions: In order to be deemed a good candidate for dental implants, your bone density needs to be good; the dentist will take X-rays to check this. You can't have conditions that affect the way you heal, such as diabetes, for example. You also need to be free of gum disease.
- Invasive process: Dental implants are put into your gums and fused to the bone. This is a fairly invasive procedure as far as dental work goes.
- Healing time: Since the process of getting dental implants does involve fusing the post to the bone, you can expect to have a bit of pain after the procedure is completed. You can be uncomfortable for anywhere from 10 to 14 days and will need to stick to eating soft foods during this period.
Benefits of getting dental implants
- Permanent: Dental implants offer you a permanent solution for replacing missing teeth. The crown of the implant is made to fit your natural bite and to match the exact coloring and shade of your surrounding teeth so it doesn't stand out from the others.
- Maintenance free: You will care for dental implants in the same manner in which you care for your natural teeth. Once you are completely healed, you can go back to eating your normal diet as well.
- Natural feeling: The implant will feel natural in your mouth once you get used to it. You won't notice a difference when you eat or speak either. In fact, getting used to it will be much easier than some of the other teeth replacement options, such as dentures.
All in all, dental implants will provide you with a great replacement for missing teeth. The benefits of having a permanent replacement that requires no more in the way of maintenance is something you should not overlook. As long as you meet the criteria and are prepared for the healing process, you should be very pleased with the end results dental implants offer you. Visit Dental Services Of Rochester for more information.Share